Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mirrors in the classroom

I recently added mirrors to our classroom.  At first, I just put one sitting by the light table.  It got almost NO attention at all.  

I decided it needed something more and went back to the dollar store and purchased several more.  I duct taped the edges of them and hot glued them to a foam poster board.  Once it was all cool I attached it to the wall surrounding the light table.  
 
 That's all it took.  Once those mirrors were at eye level, the kids could not get enough.  I would catch them making faces and checking themselves out.  It is QUITE funny to watch a preschooler make faces in the mirror.  

 


The other night, I caught my son making faces again.  With amazement in his voice he says to me, "Mom, there is something in the back of my mouth like a raindrop!" "What is it?"


  We talked about what it was and I encouraged him to draw a picture. He insisted he didn't know how to draw  and I gently guided him through figuring out what shape each part was.  He decided that his mouth was an oval shape, as was his tongue.  He drew the raindrop shape and then teeth too!  Once his picture was done I could just see the feeling of accomplishment on his face.






 



No comments:

Post a Comment